Donations to the Waterloo Suicide Prevention Council

Saturday 2 May 2015

New Partnership, Training Update

My training this week slipped somewhat. For the past two weeks, I had been generating some momentum and was feeling quite good about my progress. I can't put my finger on what was different about this than others. I felt as though the motivation to get out and physically move my body just wasn't there. In reflection, I had regressed into some older habits that don't support both my mental and physical health. From working with clients who are working to make change in their lives, I know that this step-back is a part of the change process. For those of you outside of the helping profession, there are a series of stages one passes through. For the past few weeks I shifted into what is called "the action stage." The model is cyclical, meaning a person moves through the stages and can experience "relapse." The re-enter to a place before "action" (pre-contemplation or contemplation) and try taking "action" through changing again. As I "relapsed" this week, it was interesting, I my self-criticism became harsher, my concentration shortened, and my body felt uncoordinated and heavy.

Motivation to jump back into the "action" stage came this week when I met with a community partner through the Waterloo Suicide Prevention Council. Together, we discussed my work, what I was intending to achieve and how the money I am raising could be put to use. I am pleased to announce I have formed a partnership with a wonderful organization called "Cameron Helps." This organization was founded after 19 year old youth named Cameron suicided. From this tragedy, CameronHelps aims to prevent teen suicide through awareness, reducing stigma and wellness. Team Unbreakable is its flagship recreational run program, now in more than 25 Ontario high schools. It also offers a run-therapy program for hospitals, community and health agencies. 

With some community support, I will re-enter, the action stage and as gently as I can, push myself to complete both my fundraising and fitness goals. 

CameronHelps Website- cameronhelps.ca

GoFundme Fundraising Site: https://funds.gofundme.com/dashboard

- OR Click on the CameronHelps donation badge at the top of the blog.


This Week's Training: 
Monday- Strength Training 
Tuesday- 3 miles
Wednesday- Strength Training 
Thursday- 3 miles
Friday- Rest
Saturday- 4 miles
Sunday- 3 miles






No comments:

Post a Comment

Waterloo Suicide Prevention Council